A Series of Unfortunate Events…

Last night awful things kept happening to my group… unfortunate tidings kept falling upon us and we didn’t even end up raging. Where do I even start?!

At around 7:00 PM I got picked up by my ride, two guys who were with me that night I was almost arrested, and two guys I didn’t know yet and we excitedly headed to Brooklyn. Each of us had different goals for the night, see friends, party hard, dance all night, take mad drugs, sex, etc. and we listened to music and exclaimed our excitement. We were headed to Supernatural5, the 6th of a yearly outdoor outlaw rave, held in Coney Island. The rave had never been raided by the cops before, so although there’s always that risk at an outlaw rave, no one was really worried.

As per request of the event, I dressed in dark colors, left my rave bag [a Hamtaro backpack] at home, and only worse a few pieces of kandi, hidden under my sleeves. The goal was to not call attention to ourselves so the cops wouldn’t bust the illegal party.

I had been looking forward to this event for weeks. I convinced all my friends to come, even though it was pretty freezing out for an outdoor rave, and one of the guys I used to be involved with [who gave me my first piece of kandi and first got me interested in raving] was spinning and I wanted to see him. Plus the last party I went to was bad, empty with no one dancing, so I was excited to see the people and dance the night away.

We finally arrived at the spot around an hour after it was supposed to start, after picking up my girl friend, Ida, from the train station. Due to the nature of the underground event, directions are not available to the general public. You gotta know someone to attend. My car had been to past Supernaturals, but we still got lost finding the place. When we finally arrived we were approached by a few guys who told us “Turn back, the cops are there searching and arresting everyone.” So we decided to wait in the car until we could get more info. We began hitting up all our friends and questioning every raver who walked by our car. Two of the guys decided to go down to check it out for themselves, promising to call us with information. While they were down there, one of the guys decided to roll a joint [despite my protestations that this was stupid due to all the cops floating around]. Of course, that would be the moment a cop pulls up. Seeing the weed on the kids lap, he made us all put our hands in front of us and the kid was arrested. He asked the rest of us if we had any drugs and we all [truthfully] insisted we did not and that he could search us if he wanted to. Luckily, he let us go, but our poor friend was gone, and got stuck in the police station for hours until his dad picked him up in the morning.

Ohemgee if we only knew what else the night had in store for us. We would have turned around and went home right there. But alas, we are ravers, and we weren’t going home without getting to party.

Our friends that had gone down to check out the party finally called and said it was fine, the DJs were setting up, and everyone was chilling waiting for the party to start. So, Ida, the kid driving us, and I packed up our stuff, grabbed a blanket, and headed out into the cold to the outdoor rave we were so looking forward to. Seeing a large group of kids headed in the opposite direction of the rave, I stopped them and asked what the deal was. They said that the cops were searching everyone and making people leave. The DJs were packing up, and kids are seen sprinting from the outlaw spot every few minutes. People were getting arrested and the party wasn’t happening. Damn. We headed back to the car to wait for our friends.

Two of our other friends who didn’t come up with us then approached the car, asking for us to bounce to another rave with them. At first we protested that we were waiting for the other guys, but the two new additions to the group claimed they saw them leave with another car. So we headed out to another rave on the other side of Brooklyn, Nocturnal Rituals. About ten minutes into the ride the guys called us asking where we were, but we weren’t turning back.

Nocturnal Rituals. Probably 1:00, 1:30 AM. Packed to capacity. With another 30 of us standing outside in the staircase waiting to get in. Didn’t look like it was happening. After waiting about twenty minutes, our group decided to leave and find another party, leaving behind one kid who refused to go with us.

Supernatural got moved to a warehouse, but by the time we got there, it was at capacity and they wouldn’t let us in. At 3:00 AM, we were tired, bored, and unhappy not having gotten to rave yet, and the woman outside the party was nasty to us, which didn’t make things better, so we crammed back into the car and decided to hit the after party, which the guy who got me into raving told me he was now at. While on the way the kid driving ran over the curb, popping one of our tires, and making the night even worse. Calling Gieco to change the tire, we began to wait.

Obviously, waiting sucks. Especially for a bunch of kids who just want to get out to a party. We began flagging down every cab that passed, asking them to take us to the address given to us for the after party, which none of them knew the way to. At 4:30 AM, the tire had been changed, and we gave up. And the suckish night came to a close.

Ida and I fell asleep on the way back to Nyack, a few towns over from where I live, not waking up until we were at our friends house, where we all decided to crash. Due to our lack of adrenaline from our lack of partying, it was easy to fall asleep and we were all dead the second we hit the couch.

A series of unfortunate events that evening was. A night that was promised to be epic by all the rave promoters and DJs failed to deliver, although I guess that was more the fault of the cops and the tiny venues they booked. I was supposed to spend the evening on Long Island with a guy I’ve been crushing on, but the excitement of the outlaw drew me to Brooklyn, and that was probably the big mistake on my part. The night could have been saved had I only went to see him. I didn’t get to see the man I was involved with who introduced me to the raving culture, and I didn’t get to see my numerous rave friends who were hitting up my phone “where are you?!” all night. I didn’t get to dance to any tight EDM and I didn’t get to give out the kandi I made for the event.

Raving is certainly an adventure, nothing ever goes as planned. I guess the night just wasn’t meant to be.



About Emilie

A new NYC raver just getting into the scene.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s